Sunday, January 6, 2013

Why Moving to a Boat?



That is the big question. WHY?

You may wonder if I've done this before? Uh, no. I have NEVER lived on a boat.

My experience on the water:
  • speed boat/motor boat on lakes – several times
  • canoe a couple of times
  • kayak – once
  • houseboat twice – once visited overnight and once riding/fishing in the Great Lakes - both as a child
  • Jet ski – once
  • deep sea fishing a couple of times
As you can see my experience is fairly limited. I have never been out on a sailboat and I've never been out in the ocean on a boat that could be a live-a-board.

You may wonder if this is somehow related to a career/job? Uh, no. I'm a teacher in the public school system.

You may wonder if I'm crazy? Maybe? But then, what is crazy? Is crazy doing something out of the norm? Who's norm? What is normal? See where I'm going with this?

So, to answer the big question – WHY? Two main reasons: 1 – I've always wanted to live a more simple life. (More on that in a later topic.) and 2 – It SOUNDS like a lot of fun and adventure.




5 comments:

  1. Living on a boat is a great way to live a simpler, more authentic life and have lots of fun and adventure. Good luck with the move, what sort of boats are you looking at, sail/motor, big/small?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are not sure, exactly, Sarah. My dream is to live on a big sailboat, but cost being a factor, we intend to start small, and probably not a sailboat to start, and then trade in and up as time and money and experience increases! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good plan! We knew from the beginning that we wanted to sail, partly because it saves money on fuel but mostly because it's fun, so it was always going to be a sail boat for us. But motor boats have some really nice interiors, sometimes a better use of space, and moving onto one of those first will probably make the transition to living on the water a bit easier for you. I'm looking forward to seeing your boat when you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps growing up on the water and around boats while watching far too many pirate movies and listening to Jimmy Buffet had something to do with my deep love for the water and for boats. Or perhaps I am just a little crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you ARE a little bit crazy! I LOVE it!

      Delete